Gaming Verdict is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
The moment has finally arrived; to some people’s pleasure and others heartbreak, TFT: Fates has officially been retired in preparation for the all new Set 5: Reckoning, which is currently playable on live servers today.
The fifth TFT Set will feature 58 new champions, 27 new classes, a brand new game mechanic known as Shadow Items and a different type of queue called TFT Labs, all as part of one giant update for patch 11.9.
A lot has changed from the previous TFT Set, with the obvious changes of champions, traits and classes, as well as the abolishment of the Chosen feature, which a lot of the community are extremely happy about.
In its place is the all new game mechanic of Shadow Items, which you can find more details about here. To summarize, Shadow Items are a cursed variant of the existing items that we have all become accustomed to.
These cursed variants look exactly the same, but can be differentiated as they have a subtle tinge of green to their item borders, and they also give the wearer bigger buffs than their regular counterparts. However, they come with a hefty price to pay as they will also curse the wearer with a debuff, as well as the actual buff itself.
(Image Credit: Riot Games)
This debuff may affect the wearer, their allies or both and are the reason why the new items are known as “Shadow Items”. Hailing straight from the Shadow Isles, these items have arrived in TFT to kick up a storm in your games, and change the way that players strategize to win matches.
As well these features, there will also be a brand new Battle Pass launching with Set 5 so players can earn themselves all new rewards, including a plethora of Little Legends inspired by the theme of the Set and much more.
The new Reckoning Battle Pass has 44 tiers and all of the rewards can be found listed below the full list of updates and changes for Patch 11.9.
TFT Patch 11.9 Notes
Reckoning Set Mechanics
- Shadow Components can appear in every carousel after the first one, as well as in the Armory.
- You only need one Shadow component to create a completed Shadow Item. The other component can be a normal one. Two shadow components also create a completed Shadow Item.
- When used correctly, Shadow Items are more powerful than base items, but if used carelessly, they can cause your team more harm than good.
- The Armory is a pop-up shop where you select an item from a couple of options as you would a champion. These items are free, but you can only take one per Armory. You can, and often should, pick up Shadow components here.
- Old: If a unit’s target moves out of their Attack Range, it will move 1 hex to attempt to get back in range, and then re-evaluate its target if still not in range
- New to Reckoning: If a unit’s target moves out of their Attack Range, it will evaluate if moving 1 hex would put it back into range. If not, it will immediately re-evaluate its target.
- Assassins now consistently jump first before other champions move at the start of combat.
- Old: 6% of damage taken pre-mitigation is gained as mana
- New: 1% pre-mitigation and 7% post-mitigation damage taken is gained as mana
- Attack Range is now calculated in Hexes
- Spell Power is renamed to Ability Power
- Basic attacks are renamed to just “attacks”
- All physical damage, from abilities or attacks, can now critically strike and be dodged
- All Active Abilities (abilities that are not Passive, like Vayne’s Silver Bolts) can now be blocked by Trap Claw
- Item icons have been updated
- If you own a copy of a champion, cards of the same champion will glow in your shops.
- Level 7: 22/35/30/12/1% ⇒ 19/35/30/15/1%
- Level 8: 15/25/35/20/5% ⇒ 15/20/35/25/5%
- Opening Carousel: Time To Gate Opening: 13 sec ⇒ 11 sec
- Opening Carousel: Pick Time: 10 sec ⇒ 8 sec
- Stage 1-2 Planning Phase: 12 sec ⇒ 6 sec
- Stage 1-3 Planning Phase: 20 sec ⇒ 15 sec
- PVE Rounds Arrival Time: 6 sec ⇒ 4 sec
- All Carousels Pick Time: 8 sec ⇒ 6 sec
- All Carousels Additional time for final picks: 5 sec ⇒ 3 sec
- Stage 2 & 4 Carousel: One of all: 80% ⇒ 76%
- Stage 2 & 4 Carousel: One of all + 1 Spat: 15% ⇒ 22%
- Stage 2 & 4 Carousel: 3 Spats + Random Items: 5% ⇒ 2%
- Stage 3 Carousel: One of all: 30% ⇒ 50%
- Stage 3 Carousel: 9 Random Components: 50% ⇒ 33%
- Stage 3 Carousel: One of all + 1 Spat: 15%
- Stage 3 Carousel: 3 Spats + Random Items: 5% ⇒ 2%
- The Player who won a round more recently in a situation where multiple players are eliminated with the same health and health prior to elimination will finish ahead of the other.
Ability and Item Conventions Update
Shop Card Glow
- Spell Power ⇒ Ability Power
- BF Sword Attack Damage: 15 ⇒ 10
- Recurve Bow Attack Speed: 15% ⇒ 10%
- Needlessly Large Rod Ability Power: 15 ⇒ 10
- Chain Vest Armor: 25 ⇒ 20
- Negatron Cloak Magic Resist: 25 ⇒ 20
- Giant’s Belt Health: 200 ⇒ 150
- Sparring Gloves Crit Chance: 10% ⇒ 5%
- Some Completed items built from Sparring Gloves lost 5% Dodge instead
- Infinity Edge did not lose 5% Crit because we want it to still grant 100% Crit Chance
- The following items are now Unique (don’t stack them, it won’t work well): Trap Claw, Sunfire Cape, Guardian Angel, Frozen Heart
- Luden’s Echo ⇒ Archangel’s Staff
- Archangel’s Staff: Each time the wearer casts their spell, they gain Ability Power equal to 35% of their maximum Mana
- [NEW EFFECT] Bloodthirster: The first time the wearer would fall below 40% Health, they gain a shield equal to 30% maximum Health for 5 seconds. It still gives Lifesteal as well.
- [REWORKED] Dragon’s Claw: Grants 200 bonus Magic Resist (including components)
- Attack Speed Slow: 50% ⇒ 35%
- Radius: 1 ⇒ 2 Hexes
- Armor and Magic Resist per Enemy: 20 ⇒ 18
- Now grants +40 Attack Damage and Ability Power instead of +40% increased damage
- Crowd Control Immunity shield duration: 10 ⇒ 12
- Bonus Attack Range: +200% ⇒ +1 Hex
- Attack Speed: 20% ⇒ 40%, a heavy compensation for losing some attack range.
- [REWORKED]: The wearer radiates an aura to allies within 1 Hex, healing them for 25% of their missing Health every 5 seconds. Allies affected by the aura take 40% reduced damage from area-of-effect attacks.
- Healing Reduction: 75% ⇒ 50%
- Bolt Damage: 80% ⇒ 75% of Attack Damage
- Now grants Mana On Attack instead of On Hit, thereby removing its synergy with Hurricane.
- Mana per on Attack: 5 ⇒ 8
- Can no longer crit
- Magic Resist Shred: On Crit ⇒ On Hit
- Magic Resist Shred: 60% ⇒ 70%
- Magic Resist Shred: 6 ⇒ 5 seconds
- Proc Damage is now 70
- Stacks now increase Attack Damage and Ability Power by 2 instead of increasing damage by 2%
- Attack Speed: 30% ⇒ 25%
- Now pierces CC immunity effects (ie: Quicksilver, Verdant)
- Zz’Rot taunt now happens immediately. Taunt is an instant effect that no longer compels enemies that are taunted to chase the target for 1 second. Instead, enemies can retarget once if no longer in range.
- Zz’Rot Health and Attack Damage now scale based on the current Stage (capping at Stage 5) rather than the Star Level of the wearer
Summoned Units (Abomination’s Monstrosity), will not spawn a voidspawn in 11.9, but will in future patches at a reduced capacity.
Item Raw Stat Deflations
Updated Classic Items
Hand of Justice
Spear of Shojin
- When Reckoning goes live in your region with patch 11.9, you’ll be able to start climbing the ladder in this set’s first Ranked stage. As a reminder, Grandmaster and Challenger are unlocked right out of the gates! Best of luck!
- Everyone will start Reckoning in Iron II.
- You will get 5 provisional matches after the reset, meaning you will not lose any LP for sub-top-4 placements in your first 5 ranked games of the new stage. You’ll also gain extra LP for finishing top-4, so best of luck!
- Fates Ranked rewards will be given out on patch 11.10.
- Players who reached Gold or higher at any point in the Fates set will receive the Victorious Protector to me-wow their opponents.
- Players who managed to reach Gold or higher in both halves of the set will receive the Fates-themed Triumphant Protector as well! Nicely done.
- Competitive play in Hyper Roll is going to work a bit differently. Everyone will start in Gray tier and progress throughout a Color system climaxing in Hyper Tier.
TFT Reckoning Battle Pass Rewards
|1||God King Faceoff Emote||Free|
|2||1-Star Infernal Flock||Pass+|
|3||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|4||Magical Misfits Egg||Pass+|
|5||1-Star Rune Surge||Pass+|
|7||2-Star Infernal Flock||Pass+|
|8||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|9||Chaos Pengu Egg||Pass+|
|10||Little Legend Egg 1-7||Free|
|11||3-Star Infernal Flock||Pass+|
|12||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|13||2-Star Rune Surge||Pass+|
|15||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|16||1-Star Prismatic Smite||Pass+|
|17||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|18||Realm of Balance||Pass+|
|19||Evil Grin Emote||Free|
|20||3-Star Rune Surge||Pass+|
|21||Magical Misfits Egg||Pass+|
|22||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|23||2-Star Prismatic Smite||Pass+|
|24||Little Legend Egg 1-7||Free|
|25||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|26||1-Star Wings of Fury||Pass+|
|27||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|28||Sanctum of Order||Pass+|
|30||2-Star Wings of Fury||Pass+|
|31||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|32||3-Star Prismatic Smite||Pass+|
|33||Magical Misfits Egg||Pass+|
|34||Little Legend Egg 1-7||Free|
|35||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|36||3-Star Wings of Fury||Pass+|
|37||30 Star Shards||Pass+|
|38||Chaos Pengu Egg||Pass+|
|39||Court of Chaos||Pass+|
|40||Magical Misfits Egg||Free|
|41||Please Ruin Me Emote||Free|
|42||Little Legend Egg 1-7||Pass+|
|43||Magical Misfits Egg||Pass+|
|44||Legendary Little Legend Egg||Free|
|Bonus 1||Reckoning: Perseverance||Pass+|
|Bonus 2||Reckoning: Tenacity||Pass+|
|Bonus 3||Reckoning: Devotion||Pass+|